Over the past two weeks (since the 24th) we have
been steaming from Bruce’s mooring site in the middle of the Southern Ocean,
heading to Punta Arenas. After weeks of enduring the high seas of the Southern
Ocean, we were able to see land for the first time yesterday when we entered
the Straits of Magellan from the west, and we spent the day marveling at the
beautiful fjords that lined our passage. Presently, we are at a fueling pier in
Cabo Negro, about a two-hour steam from Punta Arenas, and we should be topping
off the tanks within hours and heading to Punta Arenas where we will be setting
foot on land for the first time in nearly two months.
Views from our
journey through the Magellan Straits. Photo credits: A. Margolin.
It has been a
great journey, beginning with two weeks in New Zealand, where I spent a few
days kayaking in fjords that passing through the straits reminded me of,
reminding me of a distant home that I used to have, if it was mine for only a
moment. After spending those two weeks in New Zealand I met up with a group of
about thirty new people, who would become my closest friends over the following
two months during the TRACERS Cruise. We experienced many great things
together, such as the flight from Christchurch to the Pegasus Airfield on
Antarctica, running the 5K in the bitter cold with bright smiles, learning
about katabatic winds and getting to experience their bite near the Drygalski
Ice Tongue where we spent weeks sampling the Ross Sea. Another memory that I
will never forget, and was an experience that I will likely never have again,
was getting close to the emperor penguins on the Sulzberger Ice Shelf and
helping Jerry with his work tagging the birds.
The TRACERS Cruise
participants on the Sulzberger Ice Shelf. Photo credit: C. Riesselman.
Tackling the Chief
Scientist. Photo credit: C. Riesselman.
Shortly after Jerry completed his
work tagging penguins, I had an interview with him that I recently shared on
this blog. One thing that he said to me in that process that I did not include
in the interview I would like to share with you here, as a closing note to this
blog. I had mentioned to Jerry how overwhelmed I was by the hundreds of photos
of penguins that I had taken, not knowing how to sort through them and organize
them. Jerry’s response was:
“A lesson that I’ve learned in
working with these animals is that you wind up with hundreds and hundreds of
photos of them—whether penguins or seals—it doesn’t matter. But when I look
back at those photos, it’s the people that I wish I had photographed.”
Those words will stick with me
forever.
As I look back at my photos, I
realize that many of them are not of the cruise participants, but of the
activities that we did. However, because of resources like this blog and the
ship’s server that allows us to share our photos easily, I know that I will not
forget these faces that have become so familiar.
On that note, I wanted to thank
you all for following our blog and for allowing us to share these great
experiences with you. We are all looking forward to getting back to our
friends, families and homes, wherever they may be. Thanks again.
–Andrew





Land Ahoy!
ReplyDeleteAfter all that time at sea, view of land would indeed be a welcome sight! Looks a little warmer than Antartica too!
Great to see progress of Nathaniel B Palmer across the ocean.
Dianne and Dave NZ